Thursday, August 2, 2012

On: Accomplishing Goals



If you remember about a month ago, I wrote this little diddy on a certain goal of mine.



Well, last Saturday, I had the opportunity to accomplish that goal by running my first 5k -- a little race called the Color Run, where 11,000 people, including myself and my sister, were dowsed with colored powder at each kilometer check point.

I finished the race in a little over 31 minutes.

Now, I know I said I wanted to do it under 30. I can string out a list of excuses: chubby women stopping to walk in the middle of the race, these little monsters called HILLS, my nerves. But in the end, I'm extremely proud of myself and am still in shock I did as well as I did -- I admit, I was hurting toward the end and would have been content with getting under 40 minutes.

Training took a lot of work, and let me tell you, there's no way anyone can complete a 5k in half an hour or under without incorporating consistent running into their schedule. Thankfully, I had so much so, it's become a habit of mine. I'm now one with the road, running two to three miles around my condo complex and learning to love the burn.

In fact, I'm loving it so much that I committed to the Manchester Road Race in November -- a 5 miler with -- you guessed it-- lots of hills.

Here we go.


No comments:

Post a Comment